Friday, August 27, 2010

Leaving is Harder than Expected

Tonite I had dinner with my daughter before I leave - granted I'm coming back for Christmas, but the thought of not seeing her for three-ish months is almost incomprehensible. Today she thanked/complimented me for raising her to be the kind of person that would jump off a sixty-foot ledge into a quarry! That she has the kind of astounding fortitude and strength and sense of adventure is just awesome. I grew up playing in the woods, and didn't know whether I was Tarzan or Daniel Boone until I was twelve when I discovered motorcycles. She loved rides on the bike, too, and was disappointed when I couldn't take her for rides anymore in good conscience. I didn't recognize why at the time, but lately it's obvious why. The first time I rode her on the big, rumbly bike she said, "It's like flying, Daddy!" We share a love of waterfalls, walks in the woods, beaches and the simple pleasures of nature. Emma now has her own apartment, and starts school at Paul Mitchell Hair Academy in September - a goal she set long ago. Em put her fifth grade school picture miniature into the frame of my rear view mirror in 2005 road trip we took, and it's still there. Love you, Sweetie!

                                                        Meeting Grampy for breakfast ride

So as I set up to leave CT, I see there are several things I may not get to do - people I wanted to see before I left (Don G., Rosemary, Delores, all the wonderful ladies that staff the office at school). Seeing them will likely have to wait until December. The time to hit the road is upon me, and after sailing with brother, Dave, tomorrow I'll almost certainly drive outta Dodge on Sunday - Monday at the very latest. Brothers Dave and Donny and nephew, Tyler, and I went sailing in Newport a couple weeks ago - under the bridge and around the entire harbor. - We anchored for an hour, smoked cigars and drank a couple beers while Ty swam off the boat before heading back to the marina, packing sails and dinner at Flo's on Atlantic Beach in Newport. Yum!! Tomorrow will likely close the Connecticut door for me for a while.

                                                This is the very first digital picture I ever took!

This afternoon when Duppy and I went to Em's apartment, Dup and Em's kitty, Dolly, kinda circled each other a little before Duppy walked up and gave Dolly a kiss. It melted my heart because I love her, too. Kitty love is very special coming from Dolly, who always seems to know when it's a good time to convey her affections for us. Her idea of fun was to hide behind a door, leap out, and tackle Duppy to the ground. It scared the heck out of him at first, but I think he kinda got used to it. I'm really glad Emma has such a sweet kitty to keep her company, and maybe just a little jealous. I have never set out to own a cat, but they sure find me somehow. When I take cats in, it's only until I find a home for them where they'll be loved til the end, which I've seen too many times and don't want to go through again. When I got married, the cats my wife had instantly picked me to be their guy. Duppy will be my last animal buddy, as I hate loving them as much as I do only to find myself digging a hole a handful of years later. I'm lucky that Dup loves sibs Dave and Karen, and if something ever happened to me he would have a family home with one of them. I think everybody oughta have a Duppy! He's such a chick magnet, when girls fawn on him Dave jumps in the way and lays claim to him. It's really funny!

To Do List:
Clean camper
Re-pack truck
Re-pack suitcases after finishing laundry
Call Mom
Put lobster sauce and white clam sauce in truck, and buy pasta
Check pots and pans for what I need, and fuel new Coleman stove
Buy a boom box
Get power strip out of Dave's car


.

2 comments:

  1. I know this day holds unimaginable emotion for you Doug, but remember, you are in no way committed to this experience other than to "test the waters". Check it out, enjoy each day, look for amazing sunsets, and KNOW you have made such a difference in many young lives at school, and again with your friends and family! I will be flying into VA Sept 30th and setting up a "home" where you will always be welcome!! You ARE Loved! ~ Donny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughtful comments, Donny. I expect to have a blast!! It's only the second day traveling, and I've already met awesome people. I'll be laying up in Wolcott until my back feels better - fishing, going to Niagara Falls and enjoying the food fests Vicki creates. The camper is working out wonderfully!! Even with a sore back I was able to set up in minutes, and as you know it's so much more comfy than a tent. Do you need me to pick you up at the airport? Lemme know! Love ya, brother.

    ReplyDelete