Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Our Tentative Itinerary

I've driven across country and the entire eastern coastline many times. Some of the more memorable trips were CT to California with brother Donny in 1991 when the navy transfered him to San Diego, CT to California when we moved there for the Summer of Love in 1967, San Diego to Key West in 1969 - that was a trip with Dad at the helm as Mom flew with sister, Cyndi, and the cat. Pop was always such fun, especially on the road. Kellie and I did a coast-to-coast romp in just over thirty hours in the Z car! California to CT in 1989 with my dear friend DeWayne Sigfried was a really fun trip. He'd never been east of the Mississippi, and enjoyed watching people race with the ambulances in New York City. We gleefully out ran a Texas state trooper in a dash for the Kansas border in my Z car after he clocked me at about 110 mph. Em and I didn't have any kind of excitement like that in my truck on our road trip to Disneyworld, Mom's and Cyn's in Florida. I also drove my Corvette to Florida where I met Donny at Mom's in Venice.

I've been thinking that this venture needs an epic starting point, and have decided that we're going to start by driving from CT to Niagra Falls. I have been to the Falls before, and have always yearned to return so that my daughter, Emelie, could see them, too. I'll post pictures for you, Sweetie!  I have a friend and my brother-in-law in that neck of the woods so I would not only establish an epic beginning to our journey, but also meet up with Mike and take TB2K friend, Vicki, to dinner. She also enjoys fishing and has a bass/perch outing in mind.

From NY I plan to head to Dayton, OH, to meet up with Bruce, a fellow Timebomb2000 member. In the early days of the late 1990's when everyone was worried about what would happen during the rollover into the year 2000 (Y2K - remember that?) I discovered Timebomb, and have been a member at the site ever since. If you're interested the link is here:   http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=2&f=9. It's a great site for news and views.

From Dayton we'll head to Charlottesville, VA, to visit with a good friend I'd fallen out of touch with, Steve. We were disc golf buddies when I lived in Virginia and loved to camp together. The wonders of Facebook have reconnected us. As I was deconstructing the possessions of my life I found a four-page letter he'd written to me in the days before email. I don't think I've had such comprehensive written correspondence since I received that letter, although Linda Camba (Earl) did write a very nice letter after I sent her flowers when she was laid off. After Charlottesville, I'm heading to Leesberg, VA, to see my sister, Karen and nephew, Eric. This leg of our journey will include a ride and camping on the Blueridge Parkway and Skyline Drive - one of the most scenic rides in America. My youngest brother, Donny, and I have camped there and in Shenendoah Valley in the early 90's.

From Leesberg we're going to the North Carolina coast - specifically to visit Fred, and go to the outer banks. Donny and I have camped there, too, but were evacuated by park rangers three times in one weekend because of hurricane Bob. The mosquitoes had their way with us despite the Deet. Ever since then I've had netting and better repellent to ward skeeters off! (Note to self: always make new mistakes!)  From NC we plan to head to South Carolina, but without a specific destination in mind. Emma and I went to Myrtle Beach in 2005, but that's all I know about SC beaches. I'm hoping I can find a place to put the camper on the beach for a few days, or so. From SC I'd like to experience Savannah, GA, meet people and play some music.

From GA, we are going to head to Pensacola, FL, to visit with my sister, Cyndi. Going to Pensacola is like stepping back in time. I first went to Pensacola in 1986 for Christmas with Cyn's family on a cross country pedal-to-the-metal ride with Kellie Rucker from San Diego, California. Including a very short hotel stay, we made the trip in 32 hours. I think I still remember correctly that I-10 is 847 miles through Texas. BTW, Kellie is still writing and performing. You can hear and buy her music on MySpace. I may actually go to MS and AL on the way to Pensacola. How quickly time evaporates is the mitigating factor in our wanderings, but I'm looking forward to meeting up with Timebombers, Doc and his lady in MS, and Firedance in AL.

From Pensacola, I'll be heading back to Connecticut for Christmas with Emma and her kitty, Dolly. Dave has a family Christmas with Mom in Venice, FL, in mind, but it's too hard to make all the agendas align with the stars to make that happen for Em and me. New Year's Eve should find me back in Pensacola, and shortly thereafter on my way to Key West via Mom's house. Dad's twin brother and his wife are in Taquesta, FL, and I hope to see them on the way to Key West, too. I haven't been to Key West since 1975, and expect it's substantially different these days. When I got out of the army, fellow 2nd Cav soldier, Denny Chamblee and I converted his Dodge van and went to the Keys  expecting to stay about three weeks. Three MONTHS later I bid Denny and his van "adieu" and headed for CT to start college. I'm also hoping to reconnect with Denny on this trip. That would be nice!

After Key West, we plan to head for friends in Alabama, Misssissippi, Texas, Arizona and then to California. All for now. Thanks for your comments on my blog and your nice email messages!!

No comments:

Post a Comment