Saturday, November 13, 2010

Dear Daddy, Remember The Time?

One of my favorite older pictures from elementary school




Dear Daddy,
                    Remember the time you tapped my hand to the seat of your vehicle (F-150) when I was reaaally young to teach me the concept of a musical beat?


Miss the old days.

The above is a text from Emma, my daughter, that came in VERY late last night. I had my phone charging, and didn't get the message until I got to the hospital with Mom today. You have a message in your inbox, sweetie!

Yes, I remember that lesson in syncopation more vividly than you can imagine. Lee Roy Parnell and Radney Foster were the artists we did that to in my old green Ford truck that wouldn't die. I finally junked it because it was too embarrassing to be seen in. I always said I'd drive it until it broke, but it never did. It just got uglier and uglier. It ran like a beast, and I always enjoyed that you liked the truck, too. You were the first to ride in it after I bought it, as well as the truck I still have now! You're my best girl! There should be a country song about your best girl being the first to ride in your truck. "Riding down the road in my pick-up truck, ya better get ready 'cause I'm pickin' you up" Do you remember that? You used to sit on stage and sing our songs during Oklahoma, in fact, you stole the show one night and had the whole audience clapping for you! Deservedly so! You used to offer command performances in restaurants from your chair by winking at the men, singing and reciting poetry!

I remember teaching you to roller skate, ride a bike, swing high and long on a rope swing, dancing with you, singing to you (You Are My Sunshine! Remember?) taking you to the playground, fairs, ballet, circus and reading to you to show you how syllables work. But what I remember most is how much I have always loved you, and how special you make my life. I don't pretend to take credit for the fact that you are so brave that you could handle the 150 yard zip line, or jump of a sixty-five foot cliff into a quarry, but I really admire you for having the guts to face and do those things.

You are simply the best! Remember that always!!

I am SO lucky!!!

Love and kisses always,
Daddy

2 comments:

  1. I love you so much. I miss you every single day. I would do just about anything to have you back in CT so we could coexist and see each other on the daily. It was awesome talking to you the other afternoon! So lucky to be your daughter. You're the best dad in the world.
    love you
    -em

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY Dad was the best. I'm a shadow compared to him, but I'm VERY flattered, Emma. Love you forever.

    ReplyDelete