Friday, November 5, 2010

Thank You VRMC!!

Douglas Bradley Pascoe
28 Berkeley Terrace                                                                                              9 November, 2010
Milford, Connecticut  06460

Venice Regional Medical Center
The Rialto
Venice, Florida  34287

Dear Nurses, Staff, Doctors, Administrators, and Board of Directors,
                                                                                                        I was a career master teacher, so I know this letter format is a bit unorthodox. In the nine weeks I have been keeping this blog during my earlier travels around the country in my camper I have had almost six thousand hits from sixteen countries around the world, and I want for all the world to know how appreciative my family is for the incredible care EVERYONE here at VRMC has extended to Mom and our family as we strive to keep an appropriate level of fight instilled in her and allay her fears. I am staying in Venice until Mother is back on her feet, and we hope to have her transferred to a rehabilitation hospital before too much longer. The blog address access is available at WWW.DougandDuppy.blogspot.com. If "Doug and Duppy" is Googled, a link will come up. The first entry was made 23 August. The positive email feedback I've had about Mom's care was considerable, and far exceeded other peoples' less than positive experiences and expectations with other medical/surgical hospitals.

-The Blog Entry Regarding VRMC-

Below is a letter to the wonderful people who have been caring for my Mom during the past years of her decline. They have welcomed our large family, even when we were ALL here under their feet. Cyndi just noted that Evona, Mom's RN today, has stopped in three times this afternoon just to check on Mom's comfort! Mom's CNA today, Lourdes, is an angel, too! Cyn says, "It just keeps getting better!" in reference to the care provided here at VRMC.


For all of Duppy's fans, hold on tight. I'm sure he'll be posting soon!!!

Dear VRMC Staff and Administration,
                                                          Thanks be to you for having provided such excellent care for our Mom, Caryl Duffy, during her recent illnesses. The volunteers, staff, doctors and especially the nurses at Venice Regional Medical Center have been awesome beyond comparison. I'm touched when I see nurses like Becky, Michael, nursing students Chris Thorgard and Brittany, RNs Evona, CNA Lourdes, RNs Gail, Debra and Nicole calling Mom "Honey, Sweetie, Momma and Dear," and meaning it as they take such great care of her. I'm very impressed by their compassion and professionalism. Even when Mom doesn't make things easy and becomes fussy, they are able to address her fears and frustration at not healing faster to offer even better care to help restore her health and spirits. Their kisses on Mom's cheek and the hugs they freely offer definitely help, too. As a former member of a National Medical Enterprises hospital administration team and a career master teacher, I recognize the exceptional nursing care your staff is extending to my mother; we are grateful beyond words.

Charlene, Bonnie, Conelly and all the staff  from dietary have been absolutely awesome in their concern for making certain Mom has food that she will eat. Her meals are always delivered by Charlene with a smile, humor and grace. Patrick and Annetta, Mom's respiratory therapists, have become her friends, but the whole respiratory department has been great! David, Julie and Eric, and Mom's other physical therapists have been a Godsend; everyone from PT has been terrific! She is very grateful for the excellent care she is receiving.  Everyone who works here has been so kind, considerate and thoughtful. I can't say how much it means to my family to know that Mom is being cared for so well as she struggles desperately to mend her broken body. As a "frequent flier," Mom has always given wonderful reports about her care at VRMC to the rest of the family who are far away and eager to keep up with the status of her health. I'm delighted and relieved to see her reports are spot on, and that her care here could not be better. 

My sister related a story to me that I'd like to share with you and your staff. In the first week of October Mom came to your emergency room with a painful compression fracture to a disc in her back that badly distressed her. She was placed on a gurney, treated and then wheeled into the hallway as the ER was exceptionally busy. My sister noted two administrators observing practice and procedures of the ER staff, when Mom was approached by an ER doctor who ordered her immediate admission to the nursing staff. The two administrators, Regina Richardson and Mike Noll, wheeled my Mom to her room themselves. As a former hospital administrator, I admire beyond what words can express that your WHOLE staff is so involved in a quality of patient care that extends beyond what people expect. That you treat my Mom like you would treat your mother means so much to us - we thank you from the very bottom of our hearts for that.

I've recently semi-retired so I am able to visit Venice for as long as Mother needs, and have seen first-hand the quality care delivered with smiles and love she has spoken of so many times. My sister lives closer and has been to VRMC during almost every one of Mom's in-patient stays here. She also speaks very highly of the support the entire hospital staff offers our family as we strive to be here to provide all the very best for the strong woman that raised a very close family of five children. My siblings and I will not leave our geriatric mother, and appreciate that VRMC supports our family's endeavor to do the best for Mom we can. Your staff has made our family feel welcomed here, and we appreciate that more than I can say.

In admiration for your grace,

Douglas Pascoe, and family

1 comment: