Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Venice Jette is Fun!



Doug took me down to the Venice jette this and yesterday afternoon to watch people fish, but I saw lots more than that! There were three dolphin lolling around and having lunch - not really on their way anywhere like the dolphin in Virgina Beach that definitely had an agenda to get somewhere. There were lots of birds there, too! There was a crane who was just a little too interested in my presence there - someone threw him a fish and he flew off with it, thank goodness because he was about four feet tall and kinda scary!


There were also cranes, egrets, a couple of herons, and a cormorant that freaked me out because he was spreading his wings and looked like he was in attack mode. Doug said he was just drying his wings, but I don't know if I believe that. The egrets and terns were diving into the water to get lunch, and of course, the ever-present sea gulls and pelicans were zooming around. When Doug goes fishing I always bark when he casts his pole, but he asked me to not do that to the people fishing there. Fish are something I'm really curious about, and I always try to "get" the fish - not that  I want to really bite them, but they look likes tons of fun to play with because of the way they flip and flop on the ground. The people were mostly catching grouper and snapper, but there were a couple of fish that Doug couldn't identify and one of them was really slimy. I had to lick my nose a few times before I got the slime off and Doug laughed at me and said I looked like a mule eating briers!

Last night we partied with Grammy who shared some of her spaghetti and meat sauce with me! Delicious!! We watched "Dancing with the Stars" because they're almost to the end of the competition and Aunties Cyn and Karen watch it. I thought it was pretty boring, but what do I know? Doug had a scotch on the rocks with Grammy, and they just talked and petted me until Monday Night Football came on and THAT'S when the party started!

Grammy is a huge football fan, and watching the game is a pleasant distraction from what ails her. When the family lived in San Diego they were just a mile from Jack Murphy Stadium where the Chargers used to play, so they were rooting for them last night. It took me years to get over the way people yell and scream disgusting things at the TV when football's on because I always think they're yelling at me. I don't know why I think that because, really, I'm just a Doug's boy, and he never talks to me like that. The only time Doug gets disappointed at all is when I get poop on my butt because I have such fancy pants. Despite everyone yelling at the TV, I like football games because every munches on goodies when the game's on, and I'm all about snacks with the family!

That's all for now, friends and fans, except to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving on Thursday! Doug read Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick, and recommends that anyone who wants to know the real story behind the Pilgrams ought to read it! He especially enjoyed learning about the Indian wars!

Happy holiday!

6 comments:

  1. Nice post, Duppy. You do better than me. The last two times I've tried to leave a comment it disappears. I get so agrivated I can't "do" it again. Cross your fingers and lets see if I do better tonight.
    I'm glad you guys are there with Grammie. It gives me GREAT peace of mind. I know she really likes to have you there.
    We hope to see you guys soon in Pensacola. Everyone was sad to hear you weren't going to make it for Thanksgiving. But we all understand! Keep up the good work in Venice!
    Love,
    Cyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. God needed an angel in Heaven

    To stand at the Savior’s feet;

    His choice must be the rarest

    A lily pure and sweet.

    He gazed upon the mighty throng

    Then stopped and picked the best,

    Our child was His chosen one

    With Jesus he’s now at rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you my brother. Duppy is here with me and misses you but he's doing ok.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey My Dear Brother, I wonder where your journey is now, if there is one. I will always hope there is, but you and me and Pop never really bought the whole "life after", that said, God is a forgiving and loving God, so IF He is there, I am sure He welcomes you with open arms! Have a scotch and cigar with Pop and ride the wind and clouds until we're together again. Love and miss you my Brother and Friend. ~Donny

    ReplyDelete