Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sunday Update on Our Doings

                                              I'm Such a Duppy!

For the past week we've been spending our days in Venice Regional Medical Center with Auntie Cyndi and Uncle Dave where poor Grammy is being cared for. Today is the best day Grammy's had in the past week; we hope she continues to improve to get past the up and down pattern of the past week because everyone's so worried about her, especially Dee Dee, her husband. I saw him cry with Grammy because she was so frustrated with trying to get better yesterday. To cheer her up today Doug wore his Gettysburg shirt, brought a crossword puzzle and announced that it was football Sunday because Grammy really likes all those things. I've tried to hop into her hospital bed three times, but I forgot that she has a broken hip. Doug scooped me out of her bed very quickly, but I just wanted to let her know I love her and try to make her feel better. Duppy love is the best Doug says, and I just wanted to spread the wealth!

 The nurses here all have great fingernails, and are more than willing to use them to scratch under my collar while they call me "Baby!" I'm very popular here, and some of  the nurses stop in just to tell me how cute I am and pet me. The first couple of days we were here some of the people called the risk management and administrative offices to tell them there  was a "dog" in the hospital, but by now you can guess how that all went down. Doug used to work in hospital administration, and since I have a service badge he makes them go away with their tails between their legs. I really admire the way Doug is able to handle aggressive people that want to throw me out - he talks to them in much the same way he used to talk to his students using his "teacher voice," and it really works. Doug doesn't take "No" for an answer, especially when it comes to defending me.

 Uncle Dave and Auntie Cyndi being here is a huge bonus for me! I'm really gonna miss Uncle Dave when he has to leave tomorrow, but Auntie Cyn can stay until Wednesday so Doug's withdrawal from having his siblings around so much for so long will be only somewhat mitigated. I won't be able to see Uncle Dave until Christmastime, when we'll head back to Connecticut for the holidays with Em. I'm hoping to see Auntie Cyn for Thanksgiving. All the family time we've had recently has been spectacular, and really, really long overdue. When Grampy was sick everyone came to Connecticut and stayed with us often. I LOVED that everyone came to our house at once, but I used to mope around after they left because I was so sad. Doug used to say, "What am I, Duppy? Chopped liver?"

Doug called Carol this morning and they chatted for the longest time I've ever seen Doug use the phone! During the whole time they talked Doug didn't once mention how much I miss Margo, but Carol really did reinforce Doug's decision to call it quits in favor of hitting the road with me. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone in Connecticut in December. Doug was only planning on spending a week there, but we may have to build in more time to see everyone. I don't mind the cold weather, but Doug sure does!

Hanging out at the hospital with Grammy isn't the favorite thing I've done, but I'm really glad we're able to help keep Grammy comfortable with our company and attention. Auntie Cyndi is the best nurse Doug has ever seen, and she always seem to know just what to do for Grammy. I saw Uncle Dave as he cocked his head watching Auntie Cyn care for Gram yesterday, and then he said, "I want Cyndi to visit me when I'm sick!" Kinda the same way Doug knows how to take care of me, she knows exactly how to make Gram comfy.

I'm so glad I have Doug all the time now. We haven't been apart a minute since last April. I could tell that Doug has missed having writing time, and have watched him writing today to let everyone know what's going on. We have to see how things are going for Grammy before we can make more plans to travel. The weather is a wonderful 85 degrees during the day, and 68 at night!! Doug loves it, but I have to seek shade and drink a lot of water. Okay everyone - that's all for now! Football's coming on, and ya know how I love a football party with snacks!

From the world's hungriest service animal with love,

Duppy

No comments:

Post a Comment