Sunday, October 3, 2010

Duppy's Day at Antietam

                     Doug won't let me pee on battlefield fences

Today Auntie Karen was fussing over breakfast and making what Doug called "popovers" - something our Grampy used to make on Sunday mornings. When Doug and Uncles Dave and Donny talk about going to see Grampy I get all excited even though I've never really gotten to see him again, but I like the rock garden and park where we go. The guys always bring scotch, smoke cigars and sit around the same spot and toast him. We've been there a bunch of times, but I still haven't seen him. Grampy is the best. I tried eating the popover, but I liked the bacon a whole lot better! So did Dexter! Thanks, Karen!

Karen and Doug were excited today to go explore somewhere they've never been, and didn't know anything about until they went on the computer - then they got REAL excited by what they were reading! For my part, I just enjoy a good ride in the car. When we got there and went to the visitor's center, a park ranger came up to Doug and said, "No dogs are allowed in here." Hah! Silly park ranger! I'm not a dog - I'm a service animal! Doug really knows how to make the "No Dogs Allowed" people go away, and I'm really glad I get to go everywhere, and don't have to wait in the car by myself anymore!

We went to Antietam, and I could "smell" the blood in Bloody Lane in much the same way I did at Gettysburg, and a lot of it! We drove around the battlefield, the smallest one we've seen so far, which kind of "compressed" the effect and feeling of battle there. We walked past Dunker's church and down to Burnside's Bridge, which crosses Antietam Creek. Auntie Karen went ahead of us because Doug didn't want her to see his tears at this incredible battle site. Today I actually saw another dog, but he didn't get to go into the visitor's center and had to wait for his people in the car. I'm SO lucky.

Uncle Dave called Doug while we  were on the northern battlefield, and I think I may get to go camping with him and the boys next weekend! I'm psyched! To be able to camp with Uncles Dave and Donny at the same time with nephews would be heaven for me! My family is THE best!!! Tyler and I had a great time camping with Donny, Mark and Doug last summer! Camping with the Uncles, Adam, Colin and Pete all at the same time? Wow!!! Let's GO!

The very best part of the day was a restaurant we went to on the way home! All the ladies that worked there were glad to see me and very nice. Even though Doug and Karen were slipping me food, one of the ladies brought me my very own serving of chicken! Karen is always watching out for me and noticed I looked a little thirsty. She pushed her glass of water toward me, but I couldn't reach it and I had to stand up against the edge of the table to get a drink. The waitress was really tickled and laughed because I'm so cute, but I could tell Doug was shocked. The next time we go to a restaurant I'm sure he'll make certain to water me better than he did yesterday, or I'll have to take matters into my own paws again! THAT'S what he should have taken a picture of!

                  Doug wouldn't let me pee on the Burnside's bridge either!

1 comment:

  1. Brought back memories, we couldn't keep the boys out of the river by that bridge.

    ReplyDelete