Monday, October 25, 2010

A Part of My Support System

I wasn't going to put a post up today, but I was so touched by a note from Don, which I posted below, that I wanted to share with all the bloggers a part of the support system I have that enables me to be the eccentric, haphazard, self-indulgent, fun-loving, idiot that I can be. The seventeen years that I lived in Connecticut before this great adventure was as long as I've lived in any one place in my whole life. I was SO lucky to have fallen in with The Breezy Corner Basement Boys, and have them take me in as a friend and band mate so many years ago. The transition from rocking with Gary and Matrix, to cozy traditional bluegrass with friends who became my brothers was an amazing one. ALL my brothers and sisters love the boyz in the band the same way I do, and I really love that. Thanks for such a terrific note, Don!


Hey Dougly, (The manner of address is a total "Don-ism)
I have been quietly following your blog regularly, but up until tonight, have had nothing but grief trying to "enlist" as a certified follower.  Problem solved and you'll now find me doing my best "popeye" impression on your page.  I'm still not sure how I finally got it to work, but I did.  The basic problem was that I already had Google, Gmail and Yahoo accounts and never use any and lost all the passwords, etc.  The bast'ds all kept shooing me away when I tried to enroll "again" and I guess I just didn't have the patience before tonight to analyze the situation and deal with it. 
 
Following the Duppy/Doug roadshow for me conjures up a basket full of adjectives; enlightening, inspiring, educating, entertaining, thought provoking and heart warming come to mind easily.  I selfishly wish each of your entries were more frequent, daily perhaps, but I understand how that type of imposed -self or otherwise- pressure may water down the very product of your journey that keeps me and others glued.  I do suspect that more pen is meeting paper than we out here are seeing right now and one I hope to be among the first to add the hard cover to my collection.
 
As much as I think I already know and admire about you, every time we speak and every time I read your writings I learn more, admire and envy you more.  I'm not surprised at your wide and scattered circle of friends, but what I truly admire is your family unity.  My family is intact, but the closeness you enjoy evades us.  We're all so different I guess.  Cherish that my friend.... and I know you do. 
 
I was a bit surprised by your focused visits to the historic battlefields.  Notice that I did not call them "Civil War" battlefields. I have always viewed that term as an audacious oxymoron.  I've always been intrigued by the travesty, but not to the extent Luke has.  His 40th birthday was marked by a guy's trip to some twelve or so of the most prominent locations complete with period garb and facial hair.  I excused myself from the trip only because the timing was bad.  I plan to make the same trip on my own terms one day.  I was touched by your reaction to Antietam.  That is on my short list since my great great grandfather was wounded there.  I sadly know very little about him except that he was a bugler... go figure... and he did not die as a result of his injuries.  My mother's side is not known for given much of a sh*t about heritage and such, but I think this is where he is buried.... Vermont Civil War   He's where Sara's middle name comes from, "Hopkins."  One day I shall learn more.
 
Well it's late and I'm beat.  I just got interrupted by two collect calls from Costa Rica, so I better get to work on time tomorrow to cover that.  I'll leave you with a couple of picture attachments to give you a hint on what that's all about.  We had a big day last weekend. (Note: Don's baby and new son-in-law are honeymooning in Costa Rica - Congrats from the Duppy and me!!)
 
Later my friend.
 
Don

P.S. I can't believe Luke is 40!!! How did that happen??

No comments:

Post a Comment