Friday, September 10, 2010

Big Camp Fires Are An Extravagance



I mentioned earlier that I wanted to revisit the idea that big camp fires are an extravagance, and a regular camp fire is a luxury. Two of the times I've been in chilly weather this past summer, I was camping with my brothers but at different times.

When Donny, Tyler, Mark and I went camping in East Killingly, CT, it was rainy and a little raw at night. There was a campground rule that you HAD to buy firewood from the office because there is an invasive insect species that was wiping out trees in the area... Well, it turns out this policy is in effect in many places, which serves to generate lots of income for the camp ground owners. It also limits big camp fires to people willing to pay for the wood at the store - at $5 a bundle that means an extravagant fire can cost $20 - $30 a night for the two nights we were there. When Dave and I camped around Athol, MA, we were able to buy wood on the local economy for a good price because there weren't insect laws. The first night there found us scrounging wood around the campsite, but we still had enough for a big fire until we bought some the next day..

I've checked the USDA, National Forestry Service and Bureau of Land Management websites and was surprised how many areas are "endangered" by various insects, which serves nicely to limit camp fires by requiring the use of wood that must be purchased there - the end result is that anyone NOT buying wood commits a criminal offense, and is subject to prosecution and fines. I have contended for quite a while that the object of having so many rules, regulations and laws is so that the powers that be can make everyone a law/rule breaking criminal.

The groundsmen at the campsites regularly drove around in golf carts checking on fires - of course any bright light at a camp ground is a beacon, and leads them directly to you. In a state or national forest there are state or federal agents who are eager to issue citations, which justifies their existence. BLM requires a thirty foot clearance around the fire pit, and some state forests limit the size of the fire pit to eighteen inches in diameter! I've also learned that it is my responsibility to check and see if a fire danger warning has been posted, which can mean NO campfire!! How did I ever live to be 58 tears old without burning a forest to the ground? Oh, yeah. I used common sense.

Last evening was a bit damp and chilly - 57 degrees, so Vicki lit a fire in the fireplace, and we watched Joe Dirt. For as silly as the movie was, it was very entertaining, and had a few memorable lines. "Life is a garden, dig it?" And "Ya can't have "No" in your heart!" David Spade played an abandoned child who raised himself, and ended up telling his story to a DJ in LA. All of LA was intrigued by his story, and he became famous. Anyway, it was nice to have a fire at my feet and enjoy the movie after having a shrimp scampy dinner that we shared with Monkey and Duppy. Mesmerized by the fire, I fell asleep in front of the fire place before pouring myself and Duppy into the camper for another great night's sleep at about one o'clock.

General ramblings - Emma wrote me a wonderful message on "Duppy's Blog!" I've missed being in computer touch with her as she's been struggling with AT&T to get her internet hooked up. Thanks for a beautiful message, Sweetie! Marsha called this morning to say that she was having Norm bring us lamb chops and mint jelly! What a sweetheart she is. Errands for today: get glasses fixed, buy extra glasses, get pictures onto a disc and get yet another atlas. For some reason the two I had seem to have vanished, and the one Dave gave me isn't practical for the kind of traveling we do. Tomorrow has been reserved for going to Niagara Falls, and when I leave NY I'll head down I-81. I'll have to be in touch with Karen and Steve to see what they have on their plates before I finalize our next destination. I'm also wondering what Cyndi's travel plans are for the end of the month - I meant to call her last night. Her kitty, Buddy, had to be put to sleep last week, but I just found that out in a comment she made on my blog. So sorry for you, Cyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment