Tuesday, September 21, 2010

One of the beautiful farms I saw on my way to Virginia


It's Tuesday, which has always seemed like a funny day of the week. Now that I no longer have a schedule, work or otherwise, other peoples' schedules shadow what I remember as mine in the old days. I'm paling around with my sister, Karen, and after her workday today we're going to Ball's Bluff - the site of a battle in the war between the states. After that, I think we're going to Cici's just because we used to like to go there with her daughter and her four girls; not so much because the food is good, although it's not bad..

The link to Ball's Bluff is here: http://www.nvrpa.org/park/ball_s_bluff

I've had a couple people tell me that Duppy's posts were a high point of my blog, and they pointed me to a books entitled The Art of Racing in the Rain. I have also heard that Steinbeck wrote the novel Travels With Charley; both of these books were written from their dogs' point of view, which makes me want to read them. Last night Karen and I went to BooksAMillion in search of either one, or both of them to no avail. They were sold out of  The Art of Racing, and no longer stock Travels. Borders has at least one, if not both, so maybe after we go to Ball's Bluff we'll check Borders out.

In my blog, I've been including entries written from Duppy's perspective unaware that this seems to be a limited genre of literature. I'm willing to bet I can pick up some tips from a writer like Steinbeck, but don't know what to expect from The Art of Racing in the Rain, as the reviews were sketchy, but I'll risk buying it. Thanks, Diane!

That my Duppy seems to know more about me than I do myself isn't exactly a surprise. I took a master's level course in animal communication that was very eye-opening about the cues animals pick up on and translate for themselves. He knows by the way I get up where I'm going and what I'm going to do, and I get that he reads breathing patterns, body language and other cues I don't know I offer him, but still it's amazing to me. Apparently I'm a pretty easy read. I learned dog training techniques from Bob Burgeron back when I had Gaza, and have built on them since then. The heartbreak of Gaza's death kept me from being owned by another dog until my ex-wife insisted my daughter needed a dog ten and a half years ago. After our divorce, I ended up with the girl, the dog and the cat. She got the house.

I shared the blog info with with my Timebomb2000 friends today. Google that if you wanna know more.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Duppy is a most interesting little man! Continued "happy travels" and hope you do something special on your birthday. HEY - you already are : )
    Frannie

    ReplyDelete