Thursday, September 2, 2010

Friendship, Love and Why I'm Single


Gaza when he was eight months old. Look at the size of the chair, and his proportions. He was a great companion guard dog, and loved going to school and work with me.
You are not the air that I breathe,
You are the sweet scent that drifts upon it
You are not the sounds that I hear,
You are the music of my life
You are not the food that I need,
You are the nourishment of my soul
You are not my will to survive
You are my reason for living
It is with you that I experience the wonders of the world
It is with you that I triumph over the challenges in my path
It is your partnership that will lead me to the fulfillment of my dreams
It is your friendship that guides me as I learn and grow.
It is your patience and wisdom that calms my restless nature
It is through you that I know my true self
I do not take you for granted, I cherish you
I do not need you, I choose you
I choose you today in witness of all the people who love us
I choose you tomorrow in the privacy of our hearts
I choose you in strength and weakness
I choose you in health and in sickness
I choose you in joy and sorrow
I will choose you, over all others,
every day for all the days of my life

In a Utopian world, right? Gaza taught me these lessons well, but I do have the Duppy!

3 comments:

  1. This that the shepard you had years ago ? if so he was a beautiful dog. if not that one is very handsome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thats him. He was my best teacher about friendship, strength, loyalty and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! This is an incredible and intense writing, Doug. I was truly captivated with what you were saying and agreeing along the way. I have not taken the the time to think/reflect on feelings, emotions, experiences to this degree, but glad you have! Thanks for sharing all of "this" with me. I feel like I am getting to know a part of you that we do not usually share. I am enjoying being on this journey with you! Thank you! Love you <3 Karen

    ReplyDelete