Wednesday, September 1, 2010

These Are the Days

Sittin' on a dock on the bay
Jaws!
Sunset at the end of the afternoon we fished.


Semi-retirement has been all I could have hoped for now that I'm not anchored to a house. Today on the way to go fishing, apple orchards just loaded with fruit abounded almost all the way there. Beautiful big old farms with huge barns and split rail fences for miles. Scenic Port Bay West provided a nice dock, and in 10 minutes the gear was all set, hooks baited and in the water. Five minutes after that we were sitting on the end of the dock with our feet in the water talking, and enjoying fishing as much as I ever have. Duppy really enjoyed the day, too, explored the area, made friends with boaters and even went in the water!! Those of you who know the Dupster understand the magnitude of him CHOOSING to get wet!! It has been hot - day three of a heat wave here, and it seems as though I've spent this entire summer in an unrelenting heat wave. The one exception was when Dave and I camped in Athol, MA - we had some chill going on, but we balanced it with giant fires. Giant fires are a glorious extravagance, campfires are a warm luxury - maybe more on that later because there's a reason.

On my way to put my butt on the pier and toes in the water to fish, Vicki pointed out as I was thinking it, "These are the days, Doug." On my camping trip with Dave I saw a boy kicking a can down a dirt road, kids playing catch, a family involved in a whiffle ball game and three boys with poles in the water at the end of a dock. I told Dave about what I'd seen that day and how nostalgic it had made me feel - that I felt like I was looking back in time to when our country was a better place. A place where everyone went to the little league games - not just the parents. A time when we never even thought to lock the front door, When "crap" was a bad word, and we drank out of the hose. I reflected on that today as I had little perch nibble my toes. Yes, these are the days. I don't have to be politically correct any more, or suffer a fool's ignorance, sense of entitlement, or anything I choose not to offer validation to.

Sunset report for the day: Spectacular. I love that sunset is an everyday part of my routine. I think it's important, but then I lived and went to high school in Key West where very many people on the island make Sunset at Mallory Dock a daily event. I think that says a lot about the folks there. Yes, capital Sunset because it's an event.

Ironically, there's a ghost town 30 minutes from here named GROTON CITY!!! Can ya believe it??? For those who don't know, Groton, CT, is the unofficial home of our family, which is rapidly shifting gears due to the passing of years. The official family homestead is Langdon Avenue, Watertown, Massachusetts, but we have all lived in Groton at various points in time, and consider it a part-time home-away-from-home.

I haven't done any reading, but have been doing some thinking about feelings and sensations, and the confusing differences between them, but that's a post for later. I'm kinda working it out on paper at present. And I'm writing this blog, which is not artful, creative writing just yet - stream-of-conciousness, yes, but not planned, noted, edited or revised (yet).

Duppy's blog: Woke up late. Went to breakfast, had ham and eggs, and waitress told me I was cute. Went for a cool ride/tour in the car from East Port Bay area to West Port Bay where I was unsuccessful at grabbing Doug's bait, or Vicki's fish. I tried to stay in the shade because it was so hot, but gave in and waded in up to my tummy because I was so hot. It was the first time I went "swimming" voluntarily in my life. Went back to Vicki and Monkey's house, and we had steak sandwiches. I need a nap now. Good-bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment